FEC for getstream

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Sep 30 14:05:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:26:40PM +0200, Frederik Kriewitz wrote:

> I prefer RTP retransmissions over FEC too. Especially because it's
> similar to RTP Bursts for rapid channel changing.
> I looked into this topic some time ago, for me cisco's VQE seems to be
> the way to.

Okay - so basically in the SDP you see the definition of the history
buffer on the streaming source. Once you see gaps in the RTP sequence
numbers you request the retransmission of those sequence numbers.

I guess this request is done unicast to the source address of the
multicast stream. Or is the VQE server listed in the SDP?

Doesnt seem to be too complicated.

Does anyone have a comparison on fec/vqe induced receiver delay?
I mean the VQE delay has to be something like 2*rtt between multicast
source and receiver. Or will the receiver buffer for the amount of time
listed in the SDP to be shure?

fec will have some delay too especially when done with large
packet interleave.

Flo
--
                 Professionell gesehen bin ich zu haben ....