FEC for getstream

Denis Lackovic denis.lackovic at iskon.hr
Thu Sep 30 15:51:29 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Frederik Kriewitz <frederik at kriewitz.eu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Denis Lackovic
> <denis.lackovic at iskon.hr> wrote:
>> 2. Unicast retransmission of missing packets - Cisco VQE is most
>> popular solution for error correction in the IPTV world.
>> They have many installations around the world.
>>  This solution also requires Cisco VQE client on the STB - it is open
>> source (Cisco sells server side equipment).
>>
>> This solution requires tv channels to use multicast UDP/RTP. When a
>> packet is found missing on an STB, VQE client request a retransmission
>> of a packet from VQE server - it knows exactly which packets are
>> missing as it uses RTP sequence numbering.
>>
>> Server sends back required data using  unicast. This requires
>> additional bandwidth on top of the tv channel bandwidth, but only at
>> the time of retransmission.
>
> I prefer RTP retransmissions over FEC too. Especially because it's
> similar to RTP Bursts for rapid channel changing.
> I looked into this topic some time ago, for me cisco's VQE seems to be
> the way to.
>
> RTP Retransmission specification: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4588.txt
> VQE-Client reference implementation: ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ftp/vqec/
>
> Rapid synchronization related specs (I'm not sure how it's implemented by VQE):
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-12
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-03
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp-15
>

>> Lately there are some other companies offering Cisco VQE based server
>> side solutions (as the protocol itself is open).
>
> Do you have some links for me? I couldn't find anything.
> Anyone knows about an open source VQE-Server implementation?

For example Edgeware (edgeware.tv) VQE implementation should be
available next month. I'm waiting for a software upgrade to test it
myself.
They are well known as a  VOD server vendor (high performance flash
storage based unicast).

I'm not aware of an open source VQE server implementation.

--
Denis Lackovic