Dynamic usage of DVB-cards/DLNA/EPG

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Sep 16 14:15:18 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:38:28PM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just found the Getstream Website! :-)
>
> Does Getstream support:
>
> - Dynamic usage of DVB-cards (waiting for the first
> Multicast-/HTTP-request of a bouquet and using the next available
> DVB-card/freeing DVB-card after all connections disconnected)?
> - DLNA-announcement (useful for DLNA-capable TVs/Media-players)?

No - this is not the scope of getstream - getstream is more thought
as a kind of cable/ip-tv head-end software were continues streaming
is necessary.

> Which format does the EPG-data have in Pipe? Is it possible to use
> (x)inetd to get EPG-data of all tuned DVB-cards via TCP?

EPG is multiplexed into specific pids into the Transport Stream. With
getstream you can demux those pids and present them as TS packets
into a pipe or a different multicast group.

Decoding this EPG is beyond the scope of getstream itself although i'd be
interested into a toolchain to decode those EPG data into some kind of database
e.g. dbm, sqlite or even simple textfiles. More likely a multicast group
would be best. All getstream instances could multiplex their EPG data
to the same multicast group but different ports and the EPG decoder would
listen on that group and multiple ports.

Think of a network based personal video recorder e.g. present web pages with
the EPG content and if a user decides to record a show just add a "at" job with
parameters for netcat (with multicat recording a show is a simple netcat into a
file terminated with timeout, something like (not tested)

	at 21:55 timeout 3600 nc -l 239.55.55.5 3000 >recording.2000.ts

which will record from 21:55 for 3600 seconds ... Some postprocessing
for demuxing into a program stream or even recoding into divx or
mpeg4 (in case of SDTV) could be added as a batch job afterwards.

Flo