Dynamic usage of DVB-cards/DLNA/EPG

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Thu Sep 16 16:20:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:27:30 +0200, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 03:01:23PM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
>>
>> The idea behind dynamic adapter usage is to use DVB-cards more
>> efficiently
>> - especially as Low-Power-CPUs usully allow only one PCI(e)-Slot.
>
> There is nothing to optimize - In my scenario i offer ~30 TV Channels
and
> 60 Radio channels
> to >500 Employees via multicast - i am not able to see which programs
get
> viewed or not so i
> have to demux the whole set all the time anyway - nothing to optimize
for
> our "green network".

Nice home application! ;-)

But doesn't Multicast provide some kind of IGMP client registration? If
you close the Linux DVB-API file-descriptor of a DVB-card it's powered off
- saves about 20W with older cards.

>> Is DLNA not the scope, too? It allows continous streaming to
>> TVs/Mediaplayers
>> and is just a slim aggregation of Multicast/Unicast RTP and
>> Announcements.
>> SAP-only limits to specific Players, but consumer devices use DLNA.
>
> I havent dealt with DLNA but as i understand it the burden with DLNA is
> put on the server for possible recoding and stuff.
> getstreams purpose is multicast streaming - adding unicast or http
> streaming
> was just a compromise. It would be possible to make it a unicast stream
> and use some
> big iron box to recode the stream to whatever the DLNA clients wants it
-
> but recoding
> is not within the scope of getstream.

If the clients can handle the A/V-codecs, containers and multicast you
just have to demux the bouquet in the TS (and maybe adjust PIDs).
DLNA means providing a XML-file with service descriptions via HTTP. From
the author of the VDR-DLNA-Plugin
(http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-upnp/wiki) I know there are
already standardized service descriptons for DVB.
It would allow to use cheap consumer Media-Players, DLNA-capable-TVs, XMBC
and Windoze Mediaplayer. And nothing to configure on the client - just
plug&view!

> Its a unix tool - small swiss army knife - dont overload with feature.
If
> you need recoding
> you might want to attach ffmpeg or stuff to a pipe, nothing getstream
> focuses on or i want
> to deal with.

> getstream exists because vlc is so inefficent in the simple task of
> demuxing TS streams.

Simple and efficient are the world which cause my interest in getstream.
I don't like MythTV! Who needs a XServer + OpenGL GUI on a server?
That's why I'm looking for a rock-solid multi-transponder
DVB-Multicast-Gateway with DLNA-announcement for LiveTV and a additional
PVR-Box using that gateway. ;-)

Renne