Dynamic usage of DVB-cards/DLNA/EPG

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Sep 16 21:47:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 04:20:42PM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Nice home application! ;-)
>
> But doesn't Multicast provide some kind of IGMP client registration? If
> you close the Linux DVB-API file-descriptor of a DVB-card it's powered off
> - saves about 20W with older cards.

IGMP goes up to the multicast router or duplicating device e.g. the next switch
- not the multicast source. For the network mentioned we are talking about 10
Cisco 7604 and a couple Cisco 6509 switches which provide the ports. The
multicast source is far away.

> If the clients can handle the A/V-codecs, containers and multicast you
> just have to demux the bouquet in the TS (and maybe adjust PIDs).
> DLNA means providing a XML-file with service descriptions via HTTP. From
> the author of the VDR-DLNA-Plugin
> (http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-upnp/wiki) I know there are
> already standardized service descriptons for DVB.
> It would allow to use cheap consumer Media-Players, DLNA-capable-TVs, XMBC
> and Windoze Mediaplayer. And nothing to configure on the client - just
> plug&view!

I am not shure i like it but probably i'll accept patches ...

Nothing CPU intensive has to take place in getstream to make it clear.
Getstream should be a low latency, low overhead demux.

> > getstream exists because vlc is so inefficent in the simple task of
> > demuxing TS streams.
>
> Simple and efficient are the world which cause my interest in getstream.
> I don't like MythTV! Who needs a XServer + OpenGL GUI on a server?
> That's why I'm looking for a rock-solid multi-transponder
> DVB-Multicast-Gateway with DLNA-announcement for LiveTV and a additional
> PVR-Box using that gateway. ;-)

Flo